An Ideal Space

At the advice of Nora, I am starting an intellectual (read: not a gossip column, per se) blog, hopefully about writing. Yes, I ripped my title off an Oscar Wilde play (An Ideal Husband).

22 December 2005

Incensed

Very few things irk me more than writers who acheive success when they don't deserve it. And after reading Nora's blog (www.waitingforwords.blogsopt.com) about Dan Brown, I'm somewhat beyond irked, possibly even at the point of incensed. It seems that the art of producing good literature that is actually read by the modern reading public has been lost somewhere along the way after the invention of television. However, just because an auther caters to the masses absolutely DOES NOT mean that they have to offer up badly written crap. Dan Brown (whom I'm stealing from Nora): check out Nora's blog. Enough said. On the other side of the novelist fence: Ms. J.K. Rowling. Here is a woman who has written internationally bestselling books, even more so than Dan Brown (I admit, I haven't checked figures to make sure this is accurate, but we all know it is anyway.) She absolutely caters to the masses, but does so in an intelligent, very engaging fashion. Her books transcend age: everyone from my octageniarian (and then some) grandmother to my twelve year old brother reads her books. I am an english major since birth, and I adore them. My roommmate who isn't even in college loves them. However, although her books are read by highly varying age and social groups, none feel as if she were writing in a manner specifically for a certain age or intelligence level. Her books are well written, and deserve all of the acclaim they have received. I realize this may be the least intellectual of all my blogs (I certainly hope it is), but it is an issue that the world must address. I propose a book burning of all Dan Brown's book, and a restraining order against Dan Brown on any means of writing another book.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Coco said…

    I didn't mean that tv and film are the causes of bad writing, I meant that people switched from reading to watching tv, so authors have to work that much harder to gain readers, and try to have much more mainstream work than aesthetic or truly literary work. Its also been proven that you become a better reader the more you read and the better a reader you are, the better a writer you will be, so with less reading, people are worse readers, which would cause writers to be not as good as they could have been had they never come across a tv set in their life. I mean, seriously, where would Dan Brown be without tv? Still looking for a publisher, or hopefully, still looking at his computer screen/notebook. Look at me...my most productive periods were ones without those devil machines: the tv and vcr/dvd player. That said, I would never give up tv/films forever. Well, maybe tv. Not films.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home