An Ideal Space

At the advice of Nora, I am starting an intellectual (read: not a gossip column, per se) blog, hopefully about writing. Yes, I ripped my title off an Oscar Wilde play (An Ideal Husband).

19 December 2005

Molds

"A perfect statue never comes from a bad mold." So basically ugly people should never reproduce.


Okay, before I'm labeled the most horrible, un-P.C. person ever, I was probably about 14 or 15 when I said the latter half of the above to comment on the former: a line from a fortune cookie. I said it without thinking, just a first reaction kinda thing. The only reason I thought of it today was because I was thinking about molds that people seem to fit into.

Its shameful to admit, but I was watching Elimidate about an hour ago...there was a cute 25 year old artist going out with four women who had children. Three were older, one was younger, but all had at least one child. The young one was very typical 22, she spoke her mind and looked like an idiot in comparison with the older women. She was naive, inexperienced, and did not have the wisdom that comes from age. The next one, "the blue one", was stereotypical 'nervous mom', shy, afraid of the cameras, blushing and laughing too much. The third was a middle-aged hairdresser with bleach blonde spiked hair and too much eyeliner. She was funky, freaky, fearless, and everything you would expect of a middle aged-hairdresser-single mother. The fourth and final lady (who won) was a voluptuous beauty who talked about her daughter every chance she got. At 44, she had the experience of time, as well the experience of a 13 year old daughter. There was truth to all her statements. At the end of the show, I reminisced, and noticed how easily they all fell into their molds: the old-souled artist, the boisterous but inexperienced youth, the shy one, the fearless one, and the wise and beautiful one. Of course, I realize that it is tv, and editing makes it possible to shed people in a certain light, but I never seem to be able to find a mold that I fit in.

Somewhere along the same lines, my friends and roommates and I often try to classify ourselves as certain characters in tv shows: everyone seems to be able to decide if they are a Carrie, a Miranda, a Charlotte, or a Sam. I never could. Recently, my roommates and I have been watching "The L Word". We all decided tha Nicky is Tina, Cecelia is Bette, and Katie is Alice. Once again, I didn't fit into a mold. Katie saw me as a minor character, Francesca, who I swore I was nothing like. The others had no opinions on the subject. I'm not sure if I am worried or not about not fitting into a mold. Its supposed to be good, being unique and original, but who can you trust to set you on the right path if there is no one quite like you? Who's advice can you follow? My wonderfully sweet and totally clueless brother tried to help me out with my college career and the debt I will shortly be finding myself in: join the airforce. He joined the service, and it was absolutely the right choice for him. Therefore, he recommends it to all who are mired in one spot with no place to go. He can't understand how I live as a college student, and he can't understand why I refuse to join the military to relieve myself of any financial or other suffering that I have because of college.

I try to find role models, and people whose careers or paths in life are ones that I might want to follow. I haven't found one yet. I've found many that embody different aspects of life, but never anything close to someone who has done what I want to do. Going back to my thoughts onlife from yesterday, is it possible to be someone or to do something entirely new? And if it is possible, why the hell am I the one who is supposed to do it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home