An Ideal Space

At the advice of Nora, I am starting an intellectual (read: not a gossip column, per se) blog, hopefully about writing. Yes, I ripped my title off an Oscar Wilde play (An Ideal Husband).

13 April 2006

Another Stab at Poetry

Assignment: use certain provided words (ether, black, tilt, rip), and describe watching the sky; 4 stanzas of 3 lines each. I did what I could, but we all know how bad at poems I am. My apologies ahead of time.

Amy perched on the china blue cushions of the big bay window
And stared up into the night sky
Bright with the light of half a moon and a thousand stars

A calm had spread over the world out there
As if ether had taken over the outdoors
Amy looked and found Ursa Major, Orion and Cassiopeia

Amy’s blue eyes searched for Orion’s dogs, Canis Major and Minor
When the celestial lights burned out, and the sky became black
As if the earth had tilted and then fallen off its axis

A great white finger of lightning ripped through the sky
And touched the limbs of the tree which held Amy’s swing
She turned and hid her blue eyes until her father came and carried her away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home