An Ideal Space

At the advice of Nora, I am starting an intellectual (read: not a gossip column, per se) blog, hopefully about writing. Yes, I ripped my title off an Oscar Wilde play (An Ideal Husband).

13 April 2006

Oscar Party

The assignment was to write about something using lines from newspapers, using only what could be seen (again). I wrote it the day after the Oscars, so thats pretty much what it is all about.

I looked down at the red carpet leading from the driveway to the front door. The red carpet is the ultimate setting where all eyes focus on the attire of the guests as they step from their cars, and make their way into my house. Liza’s green dress was one-of-a-kind, and Muriel’s diamonds dazzled around her neck. Tom’s date, a blonde 20 something, tragically chose a youthful look created from layers of pink silk satin, and looked like a homemade cupcake next to a beautiful ripened man. Elaine came in her ice colored silk gown with her vintage diamond bracelet and fishtail earrings. I clapped my hands with glee, and then Jim came up behind me and put his arms around me, kissing my neck. I swatted him away, grabbed my mink and prepared to ascend the staircase. I appeared at the top of the stairs, and all of my guests hushed and turned my way. James took my arm and we started forward. The last thing I saw before I was rushed to the hospital were their horrified looks as my heel caught on my dress and I tumbled forward much like Vivien Leigh in “Gone With the Wind.”

All excerpts from www.oscars.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home